Friday, February 19, 2010

The Ride

I think I mentioned in one of my previous posts that I received a new bike for Christmas. When I asked for it, both my mom and dad looked at me as if I were crazy, but I really wanted one so it went on my list. My justification at the time was that we lived on a very busy street and my two children were ALWAYS begging to ride around the block. That made me extremely nervous. When I was their age, I was gone for hours at the time in the neighborhood and in the woods, but times are so different now. I like to be able to look out the window and see my babies. Since I was really nervous about it, I would never let them go unless they were in a pack of 3 or 4 children and not just 2. I guess that just made me feel safer but not completely. That is when I decided that I would get a bike and ride with them.

Christmas came and upon walking into mom and dad's it was immediately know that my request had been accepted. My bike was wrapped in a big Christmas "trash bag". I was so excited. We took it home and Doug immediately adjusted the handlebars and the seat for me. I couldn't wait to ride it but it was dark and cold. Well, it has remained cold and I have really not had the chance to take the kids on a bike ride yet...until last night.

When did it become so painful to ride a bike? Now I know that it has been years since I have flown through my grandparent's yard on my bright blue Good Vibrations bicycle, but has it really been that long? Am I really that out of shape? My knees were in pain. My calves were screaming at me. What in the world was I thinking. Emily and Chandler were flying past me, standing up peddling and swerving all over the road. I was scared to death. People would drive by us and wave, but I couldn't wave back. If I even thought about lifting my arm, I felt like I was gonna fall right over! By the time we got home, 15 minutes later, I was out of breath, my legs were numb, and my hinney, oh my hinney...there are no words!

Since my diet began 3 weeks ago, I have been exercising on the Wii Fit and walking a little bit. The exercise has slowed lately due to sickness and just the fact that I tend to be a little lazy, but now I am even more determined!!! I am going to master this bike! I am gonna show it who's boss and I am not going to let it defeat me. I will ride for longer than 15 minutes without feeling like dying once I hit the driveway. Lance Armstrong, watch out!!!!

1 comment:

A Cup Bearer said...

Sandy told me today that he saw you and the children riding your bikes yesterday. Way to go!!! Personally, I stick to my own two feet. I'll wave when I go by -- you do the same.